People know the benefits of including salmon in our diet, as it is a good source of protein and is rich in Omega-3 acids. Salmon oil is a food supplement naturally derived from salmon. But salmon is not only good for us, it is also good for our pets.
Just as we take fish oil supplements, usually Omega 3, giving salmon oil to our dog is not only safe, but can have many benefits to improve their overall health.
Is salmon oil good for my dog and cat?
Salmon oil is rich in polyunsaturated fatty acids, including omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids.
Dogs and cats are unable to produce them on their own, or at least in sufficient quantities. Therefore, they must be provided by diet.
Salmon oil is a great way to supplement your dog or cat’s diet. Omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids support immune system health, heart health, anti-inflammatory properties, skin and coat health and cognitive function in our pets, so it is very beneficial to incorporate them into their diet.
The main omega-3 fatty acids present in salmon oil are EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid), DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) and DPA (docosapentaenoic acid). These acids are long-chain, i.e. they contain 20 or more carbon atoms.
Omega-3 acids are important structural components of healthy cell membranes.
There are many offers on the market for salmon oil for pets, but not all of them are of the same quality. Make sure it’s salmon and 100% natural.
What are the benefits of salmon oil?
The benefits of this food supplement are numerous:
- Skin and coat: Salmon oil contributes to the shine and resilience of the coat. In case of dermatitis or allergy, it has an anti-inflammatory action and contributes to faster healing.
- Joints: Thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties, salmon oil can be used in dogs with joint problems such as arthritis, as well as in cats. It also slows down cartilage degradation.
- Anxiety disorders: the omega-3 fatty acids contained in salmon oil help regulate stress by regulating adrenaline function. They are therefore useful for anxiety disorders.
- Brain functions: omega-3s are involved in the proper brain development of foetuses and newborns; they also help facilitate learning. It is therefore advisable to give salmon oil to pregnant females, puppies and kittens.
- Heart and blood: these fatty acids help the heart and blood vessels. They fight high blood pressure and also reduce the risk of cardiovascular accidents. They decrease cholesterol production.
- Palatability: salmon oil adds palatability to your dog’s or cat’s dish. Therefore, if your pet is fussy, weak or eating less, it can be a good solution to make it want to eat. They will then be able to regain their strength and weight.
- Fighting the cold: Salmon oil can also help a dog or cat to fight the cold. Therefore, it is often given to sled dogs. So don’t hesitate to use it as soon as the temperatures drop.
But what else?
Salmon oil is also known to improve immune function, eyesight, hearing and fertility.
How can I give salmon oil to my dog?
There are many ways to use salmon oil to supplement your dog’s diet. Be sure to consult your veterinarian if you have any questions about making changes to your dog’s diet. You can give your pet salmon oil supplements at mealtimes or add the oil to their food.
If you give salmon oil supplements to your pet, be sure to check the recommended dosage on the label and the expiry date. If you notice that your dog is experiencing reactions to salmon oil supplements, such as nausea, loose stools or bad breath, you should consult your vet to see why this is happening.
Salmon oil is added to your pet’s wet or dry food and is compatible with BARF or Realfooding diets.
How much MAIKAI Salmon Oil for Dogs should you give your pet?
All dogs and cats can receive a salmon oil supplement.
The amount to be administered depends essentially on the weight of the animal:
- Small breeds 2 to 10 kg, 2.5 ml per day.
- From 10 to 20 kg, 10 ml per day.
- Over 20 kg, up to 20 ml per day.
You can adapt the quantity according to the desired breed or goal.
Caution, salmon oil should be given in moderation, under veterinary advice:
- To overweight or obese animals.
- Animals suffering from osteoarthritis, as weight is an aggravating factor.
- Too much salmon oil can cause digestive problems.
- Make sure your pet’s food does not already contain enough omega-3.
MAIKAI is always the healthy, natural and quality alternative for your pet.
I want to buy MAIKAI salmon oil