St. John’s is a traditional festival celebrated in Spain every year on the night of 23 June. It is a joyous and festive celebration where bonfires, firecrackers and fireworks light up the sky. However, all this excitement can sometimes be a source of anxiety for our canine friends. In this article, we present a practical guide to help your dog have a peaceful St. John’s Eve, with tips and tricks to prevent stress related to firecrackers and fireworks.
Origin and celebration of the night of St. John
St. John’s Day is a traditional festival that marks the summer solstice and celebrates the shortest night of the year.. It is closely linked to ancient customs, going back centuries, where people gathered around bonfires to ward off evil spirits and celebrate light and fertility. Nowadays, this festival is celebrated all over Spain, with traditions varying from region to region, but the firecrackers and fireworks are common elements of the festivities.
How to prepare your dog for St. John’s Eve?
Preparation is essential to help your pet cope with loud noises and bright lights. associated with firecrackers and fireworks. Here are a few tips on how to prepare your furry friend to spend St. John’s Eve in peace:
- Gradually accustom your dog to loud noises by recording firecrackers or fireworks, while rewarding him with 100% natural, animal-derived MAIKAI Pets treats and cuddles to show him that these sounds do not represent any imminent danger.
- Create a safe space indoors where your pet can take refuge during the festive season. Set up a cosy area with his bed, relaxing toys and soft music to mask outside noises.
- If you are going out with your dog in San Juan, make sure he has proper identification and is on a leash to prevent him from running away at a sudden noise.
- Use relaxation and distraction techniques: During the St. John’s festivities, it is important that your pet is calm and relaxed. You can use relaxation methods such as gentle massage, soothing strokes or the use of natural products such as calming pheromones for dogs.
- Give your dog something to play with so he can concentrate on something other than outside noise. At MAIKAI Pets, we offer a complete range of 100% natural dog chews, from Himalayan bone to natural deer antler and olive wood, keep your dog busy while helping to reduce his anxiety and improve his well-being in a completely natural way.
- Consult a veterinarian if necessaryIf your furry friend suffers from severe anxiety during the St. John’s Day festivities, despite all the precautions you have taken, it is advisable to consult a veterinarian. He will be able to assess the situation and advise you on further measures to help your dog through this difficult period.
St John’s Day is full of joy and festivities, but it can also be stressful. for our furry friends. By preparing your dog carefully and using relaxation and distraction techniques, you can contribute to a calmer time for your dog. Remember that every dog is unique, so pay attention to their signs of stress and adapt your approach accordingly. By following the advice in this practical guide, you can help your dog to spend St. John’s Eve in peace and enjoy the festivities in complete safety.